Handicapped Development Center
HDC needs the support of others to ensure its programs and services are available for many people with disabilities for years to come. We have worked hard to gain the trust of the community and we value this important partnership. Our pledge to you is that we will continue to be good stewards of your gifts.
At the beginning of January 2013, the American Taxpayer Relief Act was signed into law. The Charitable IRA Rollover provision was included. This provision allows for individuals 70 1/2 years old or older to make a gift to a qualified charity, like HDC, from their IRA without paying income tax on the money. Several stipulations are included in the law:
- The gift must be a direct transfer.
- Tranfers can not exceed $100,000 per person, per year.
- Only Traditional or Roth IRA's quality.
- The gift can satisfy the Minimum Required Distribution.
For more information, contact the HDC Development Office at 563-391-4834 or email@example.com or visit with your own financial advisor.
Your gifts will be used to:
- Reduce the waiting list for services, which in some programs can be as long as 5 years.
- Meet specialized equipment needs like wheelchairs and communication devices.
- Enhance staff development and training so employees can continually improve their skills and provide the highest quality services possible.
- Diversify financial support, so we can reduce our dependency on government funds.
The HDC Endowment Fund was established to ensure that people with disabilities will continue to have opportunities to achieve for many years in the future through the Handicapped Development Center. Gifts to support the Endowment Fund can be made in several ways:
- Gifts of Cash
Gifts of cash are always welcome. Simply make a check out to "HDC" and drop it off or put it in the mail. If you want to make the gift in memory of or in honor of someone, just enclose a note. If your company has a matching gift program, simply enclose the form along with your check.
- Gifts of Real Estate
HDC accepts gifts of homes, farms, and lots under certain stipulations.
- Life Insurance
Several options are available when gifting life insurance. You can:
◦ Purchase a new policy or donate one you currently own
◦ Name HDC as the beneficiary to a policy
◦ Assign ownership of a life insurance policy to HDC
Leaving a legacy through your will offers many options, such as:
◦ Specifying a specific amount of money
◦ Leaving a specific piece of property (a house, jewelry, collections, etc.)
◦ Designating a percentage or fraction of the estate
◦ Leaving a residual bequest after all other bequests are satisfied.
- Gifts of Stock
You can transfer stock to the Center through a simple form available in the Development Office or simply have your broker contact us.
For more information on how to support HDC, contact Carol M. Foster, Vice President of Resource Development at 563-391-4834 or click to e-mail.
You can also visit the Leave a Legacy website for more information on gift planning ideas.